Thursday, September 27, 2012

Fortune Cookies

As I sat in the local brew house this evening watching my friends through a haze of pipe smoke, I began to contemplate fortune. Were one to ask me prior to this year, I would have spoken of fortune, luck or prosperity (whichever you prefer) as a cumulative effects of the events of ones life and how they form the person one becomes. If one were to ask me about mine,I likely would have replied that my fortunes were a mixed bag or outright negative. That of course is considering only the events of my own life. But lately I have had reason to rethink that response. It strikes me now as a bit egocentric. Even more so considering the bitter (if tongue-in-cheek) Valentines day rants I like to post. It's worth considering the idea that the good fortune of the people whom are important to you can have an equal effect on you if you let it. Energy spent in celebrating the happiness of others is certainly energy well spent. Seeing friends who love can instill equal measures of love in your own heart. Seeing friends who rejoice in overcoming adversity can make you stronger in meeting adversity of your own. Seeing friends stand against the world makes you stand taller in your own spirit. More than once I've watched this idea play out but was usually too busy with my misfortunes to give it any thought. However, tonight the circumstances were right to see the frayed edge of that thread and give it a tug. Am I a better man for watching the people I love walk an easier path? The answer is a firm and joyful yes. And that answer is enough to take the sting from most blows life can deal me. -B-

No comments:

Post a Comment